Bad Breath Symptoms
You may not know you have bad breath.
We have become genetically acclimated to the smells that come from their mouths. This means that the smell receptors in our noses have grown accustomed to the odors in our mouths. Often, the social symptoms of bad breath (halitosis) are more noticeable than the physical symptoms are and may be our first indication of a halitosis problem:
Bad Breath Symptoms You Can See
- You sit down and everyone else moves away.
- You step in to converse and your partner steps back.
- Your friends offer you mints, chewing gum, or breath spray.
- Your friend talks to you with his hand covering his nose
- You find a bottle of mouthwash or pack of breath mints atop your desk
- You get more hugs than kisses or a handshake instead of either a hug or a kiss!
While social symptoms may make you smile when reading them, when they happen to you they just arenít funny. Aside from the embarrassment they cause they can impede both your performance in both social situations and the workplace. However, chronic halitosis also shows several physical symptoms that can help you recognize your bad breath, treat it, and move in for intimate conversation or a kiss!
Testing to See if You Have Bad Breath
- You frequently have a bitter, sour, or metallic taste in your mouth
- You experience a white or yellow film on your tongue.
- Your mouth is dry
- A burning sensation in the mouth
- Your experiencing post nasal drainage
- You have white spots on your tonsils
Bad Breath Causes That Show Symptoms
- Lick the back of your hand and smell the area you just licked.
- Cup your hands over your nose and mouth then breathe out, then breathe
In addition, several illnesses, such as diabetes and kidney, liver, or lung diseases can by symptomatic of bad breath.
- Red or swollen gums
- White or pale gums
- A toothache
- An abscess
- Plaque buildup on the teeth
- Food particles lodged between your teeth
- Open sores in the mouth
- Ill fitting dentures
What we put into our mouths, especially heavily spiced foods, cigarettes, chewing tobacco, and alcohol, are easy to detect as bad breath offenders, yet how these symptoms cause bad breath and how to treat them can be quite surprising!
Home | Bad Breath Symptoms | Bad Breath Causes | Bad Breath Prevention
Bad Breath Treatment | Bad Breath in Dogs and Cats | Bad Breath in Children